Prevent the house from heating up (and keep it cool!)
Ways to refresh the air inside your home and avoid the heat, without having to do work.
With the heat coming, and especially for those without air conditioning or other artificial cooling, it is important to follow some tips to keep the house cool and comfortable.
Leave the house "in the dark" during the day
- when the sun lurks the tendency is to open everything and let the light in. But when the days are very hot it is not advisable. It will heat the house a lot. So what can you do to let in the light but not so much the heat? Only open the blinds / shutters / curtains in areas of the house where the sun is not hitting. Choose to open some of the windows at night. So the house will be even cooler.
Make use of the fan
- there is a way to use the fan to cool the house even more: place a bowl with cold water, or with ice cubes in front of a fan. As the ice melts and the water evaporates the air gets cooler.
Turn off home appliances
- appliances, even in stand-by, produce a lot of heat. This also applies to the lights. In the case of lights choose to use LED - they are more economical and generate less heat. So, have only connected as little as possible.
Trees and Plants
- if you have a garden, or even a terrace or a balcony, take advantage of it. Plant some trees or shrubs, so that over time it creates shadows. For those with smaller spaces, climbing plants around the windows are a good way to create some shade as well. Using flowers and plants indoors is also a good tip, as they make the environment more humid and therefore cooler.
Avoid generating heat in the kitchen
- cooking is one of the most valuable activities. But there is a more economical way of cooking. For example, the oven generates a lot of heat, as well as recipes that take a long time to prepare on the stove. The longer the water vapor is generated, the more heat you produce. In summer, opt for salads or foods that are simpler and quicker to prepare. If you have that possibility, have barbecues outside.